Do you only have one week to visit Bali? No problem! Despite having a lot to see and do on this Indonesian island, within 7 days you can visit the main attractions and get a taste of what this cool and laidback destination offers. Here is a 7-day itinerary to get to know the highlights of Bali.
This post may contain affiliate links. By purchasing through these links, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Bali 7-day itinerary – Days 1-3 Ubud
Once you arrive in Bali, start your itinerary in Ubud. Starting your Bali itinerary in the island’s heart (or soul) will give you a quick sense of what Bali is all about.
Take the opportunity to visit Tegallalang Rice Field, one of Indonesia’s most famous rice terraces, and that needs to be part of every trip to Bali.
Then, continue your itinerary by visiting other top attractions of Ubud, like Tirta Empul temple, Ubud Market, and Saraswati Temple – a temple surrounded by a lotus-filled lake in the center of Ubud.
Once it’s time to wind down, join a yoga class in Ubud, as it’s one of the best places in Bali to do so.
Top things to do in Ubud
- Tegallalang Rice Field
- Tirta Empul Temple
- Ubud Market
- Saraswati Temple
- Yoga class
- Visit a spa for a dreamy pampering ritual
- Learn about Indonesian food in a Balinese cooking class
- Campuhan Ridge Walk
- See the best waterfalls in the area on a waterfall tour
- Join a tour to hike Mount Batur during sunrise
- Have a floating breakfast experience
Best hotels in Ubud
- Bisma Eight: a boutique hotel very close to the heart of Ubud and within walking distance to some of the main places to see in the area – Ubud Market and Saraswati Temple. The 38 rooms are very well designed, and the infinity pool offers impressive views of the forest.
- Calma Ubud: this is one of the best hotels in Ubud. The infinity pool overlooks the rice terraces, and it’s also within walking distance to the center of Ubud.
- Alila Ubud: if you are looking for something more exclusive, Alila Ubud is your best choice. Here, enjoy the spectacular pool and soak in the views of the surroundings.
Best restaurants in Ubud
Make sure to read my complete guide to Ubud, with all the attractions, restaurant tips, and hotel suggestions for your stay.
Bali 7-day itinerary – Days 4-5 Uluwatu
After your days in Ubud, i’s time to continue your Bali itinerary to Uluwatu, the surfing capital of Indonesia.
Uluwatu is known internationally for its big waves that attract surfers from different parts of the world and is an essential stop on your trip to Bali. However, even those who don’t surf can enjoy the tropical and beach vibes of the region!
Being in Uluwatu, visit the beaches of Padang Padang, Bingin, Melasti, and Karma Beach (the beach of the Karma hotel, which is also open to the public).
Also, add a visit to Garuda Wisnu Kencana park and Uluwatu Temple to your Bali itinerary. The temple is one of the best spots in the region to catch the sunset, but it gets very crowded; if you want to escape the crowds, go early morning.
Do you want to spend your days enjoying the beach clubs and bars in Uluwatu? Some favorites are Single Fin, Ulu Cliffhouse, and Sunday’s Beach Club.
Top things to do in Uluwatu
- Padang Padang beach
- Have drinks at a beach club (Single Fin, Ulu Cliffhouse, or Sunday’s Beach Club)
- Bingin beach
- Melasti beach
- Karma beach
- Garuda Wisnu Kencana park
- Uluwatu Temple (by yourself or with a tour)
Best hotels in Uluwatu
- Alila Villas Uluwatu: in this all-pool villa luxury resort you’ll have gorgeous panoramic views of the Indian Ocean. The hotel infinity pool is one of the most beautiful in Uluwatu and here you can also find The Warung, one of the best restaurants in Bali to try authentic Indonesian food.
- The Ungasan Clifftop Resort: a luxurious cliff-edge resort above the Indian Ocean near some of the best beaches in Uluwatu.
- Anantara Uluwatu Bali Resort: another cliffside hotel in Uluwatu, this luxury hotel has a gorgeous infinity pool and is perfect for a tropical getaway.
Best restaurants in Uluwatu
- The Loft
- The Cashew Tree
- Bukit Café
- The Warung (at the Alila hotel)
7-day Bali trip – Days 6-7 Canggu
Now it’s time to finish your weeklong Bali itinerary in Canggu. Here your days can be spent on the beach, which, although not as beautiful as Uluwatu, has one of the most beautiful sunsets in Bali.
If Canggu’s beaches don’t interest you, you can enjoy the beach clubs in the area. There are many, but the best ones are The Lawn and La Brisa.
In addition, Canggu is the perfect place to visit hipster shops to find something special. Here you can also visit the many cute cafes and restaurants that will make you want to spend your entire Bali itinerary eating.
Top things to do in Canggu
- Sunset in Berawa beach
- Find rice terraces
- Have a healthy meal at Shady Shack
- Try the wholesome menu of Peloton Supershop
- Yoga class
- Surf class
Best hotels in Canggu
- Como Uma Canggu: a beachfront hotel with two pools, a beach club, and a superb spa. Accommodation options range from standard rooms to pool villas and duplex penthouses with luxurious modern architecture. Nearby Como Uma Canggu you’ll find many restaurants and coffee shops.
- The Slow: one of Canggu’s finest boutique hotels that has an excellent location – close to The Lawn and Old Man’s. The hotel features 12 suites (some with private pools), and a rooftop restaurant and bar to watch the sunset. The Slow is one of Canggu’s busiest places so I recommend booking early.
- The Haven Suites Berawa: located in Berawa, the cool area of Canggu, this is a great place to stay and enjoy the surroundings. It’s also a budget yet comfortable hotel in Canggu.
Best restaurants in Canggu
- Peloton Supershop
- The Loft
- Shady Shack
- Café Organic
Have more than 7 days for your Bali itinerary? Then, from Bali, visit the magnificent Nusa Penida on a full-day trip. Or, if you have more days, take a fast boat to the Gili Islands to spend a few days unwinding by the beautiful beaches found there.
Tips for your 7-day Bali itinerary
- Visa: for current information about Indonesia’s visa, currency, and other travel updates, please visit my post on What to Know for Visiting Indonesia.
- You can do the itinerary in reversal, starting in Canggu and ending in Ubud.
- The best time to visit Bali is from April to October.
- Always carry some cash with you, as some places do not accept credit cards.
- In Canggu, you can get Grab and Go-Jek (apps that work like Uber). However, in Ubud and Uluwatu, the apps don’t work (because of local disputes), so you’ll have two options: rent a motorcycle, or negotiate with taxi drivers to take you to the places you want to go. There is also the option of booking a car with a driver at the hotel, but it can end up being the most expensive option if you don’t plan to travel a lot.
- Travel Insurance: I recommend purchasing travel insurance for every international trip, and the same applies to Bali. My recommended and used travel insurance resource is SquareMouth, a platform for searching for the best option amongst travel insurance companies. It allows travelers to instantly purchase a travel insurance policy from every major provider in the US and it also makes clear each policy’s COVID-related coverage.
Best tours in Bali
- Sunrise Mount Batur Hike with Breakfast: have an early start to your day on this tour to watch the sunrise from above the clouds at Mount Batur’s summit.
- Monkey Forest, Rice Terrace & Tanah Lot Private Tour: this is one of the best tours to take in Ubud because you’ll see the Tegallalang Rice Terrace, visit the Sacred Monkey Forest, learn about Luwak coffee, and catch the sunset at Tanah Lot Temple.
- Best of Nusa Penida Tour by Fast Boat: on this full-day tour from Bali you’ll go to the heavenly Nusa Penida to see some of the main attractions of the island – the gorgeous Kelingking Beach and Broken Beach.
- Instagram Highlights Tour: visit the most Instagrammable places in Bali near Ubud. It includes Lempuyang Temple, Tegallalang, and Tirta Gangga.
Bali Packing Tips
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO READ
- Where to stay in Bali: Tips for choosing where to stay in Bali
- Canggu: The best places to stay in Canggu
- Ubud: The complete guide to Ubud
- Labuan Bajo: A complete guide Labuan Bajo, Flores and how to see the Komodo Dragons
- Indonesia: All you need to know before visiting Indonesia
- Honeymoon in Indonesia: 9 honeymoon hotels in Indonesia
- Beaches in Indonesia: 9 stunning beaches to visit on your next trip to Indonesia
Do you have more time and want to see other parts of Bali? Check out this post to help you in choosing which part of Bali is the best for you
Do you want me to plan your trip to Bali? Get in touch with me!