Canggu is Bali’s most hipster and laid-back spot, a perfect region for those wanting to stay in one of the many rental villas available online. However, if you don’t want to pass on the hotel experience and miss a nice breakfast spread, having somebody making up your room, and giving you fresh towels, then keep reading to find the 5 best hotels to stay in Canggu.
Where to Stay in Canggu – Como Uma Canggu
(daily from US$ 260)
The first big name in the hotel world to come to Canggu, Como Uma Canggu opened its doors in 2018 on Echo Beach, one of Canggu’s coolest areas, full of restaurants of the best restaurants in Canggu, shops, and beach clubs. Accommodation options range from modest rooms and suites to pool villas and duplex penthouses with luxurious modern architecture.
In addition, by staying at Como Uma Canggu you will have access to two pools, one of which is at the Como Beach Club. The beach club is strategically positioned oceanfront so you can watch the waves of the Indian Ocean break and have the best sunset views on the island. The hotel also has a spa and surf school offering lessons for beginners and experts.
Where to Stay in Canggu – The Slow
(daily from US$ 170)
With modern architecture and décor reminiscent of some tropical minimalism, The Slow is one of Canggu’s finest boutique hotels. It’s located close to The Lawn and Old Man’s – two well-known places worth visiting.
The hotel features 12 suites (some with private pool), and a rooftop restaurant and bar to watch the sunset. And since The Slow is one of Canggu’s busiest spots, early reservation is encouraged.
Where to stay in Canggu – Theanna Eco Villa and Spa
(daily from US$ 180)
If you are looking for a luxurious retreat, Thenna Eco Villa and Spa is for you. Offering 22 uniquely styled private pool villas, here you can choose from Scandinavian minimalism, Japanese zen, and the tropical vibes of Bali. For families or groups, there is also the option of a 2-bedroom villa.
And as if the exclusive pools in Thenna villas weren’t enough, the hotel also has a main pool for all guests to relax. Additionally, bicycles are available for guests to use, as well as a daily shuttle to certain parts of Canggu.
Where to Stay in Canggu – The Haven Suites Berawa
(daily from US$ 130)
The Haven Suites Berawa is a no-thrills yet comfortable hotel. Located in Berawa, the cool area of Canggu, this is a great place to stay and enjoy the surroundings.
The hotel features spacious rooms with balconies, an extensive pool, and beach access. By staying at The Haven Suites, you will be able to walk to Berawa Beach – one of the most legendary places to watch the sunset in Canggu.
Where to stay in Canggu – Hotel Tugu Bali
(daily from US$ 320)
Hotel Tugu Bali is among the top hotels in Canggu. It is within a few steps from The Slow, which is very close to where things happen but still maintains a completely different atmosphere. This museum hotel features numerous artifacts from the islands of Bali and Java, with pieces that have been chosen and placed in villas and suites by the hotel owner himself – one of the country’s largest Indonesian antique collectors.
The hotels above are the best in Canggu and some of the best places to stay in Bali.
Tips for your Bali itinerary:
- Visa: for current information about Indonesia’s visa, currency, and other travel updates, please visit my post on What to Know for Visiting Indonesia.
- The best time to visit Bali is from April to October.
- Always carry some cash with you, as some places do not accept credit cards.
- In Canggu, you can get Grab and Go-Jek (apps that work like Uber). In Ubud and Uluwatu, the apps don’t work (because of local disputes), so you’ll have two options: rent a motorcycle, or negotiate with taxi drivers to take you to the places you want to go. There is also the option of booking a car with a driver at the hotel, but it can end up being the most expensive option if you don’t plan to travel a lot.
- Travel Insurance: I recommend purchasing travel insurance for every international trip, and the same applies to Bali. My recommended and used travel insurance company is SquareMouth, a platform for searching for the best option amongst travel insurance companies. It allows travelers to instantly purchase a travel insurance policy from every major provider in the US and it also makes clear each policy’s COVID-related coverage.
Best tours in Bali
- Sunrise Mount Batur Hike with Breakfast: have an early start to your day on this tour to watch the sunrise from above the clouds at Mount Batur’s summit.
- Monkey Forest, Rice Terrace & Tanah Lot Private Tour: this is one of the best tours to take in Ubud because you’ll see the Tegallalang Rice Terrace, visit the Sacred Monkey Forest, learn about Luwak coffee, and catch the sunset at Tanah Lot Temple.
- Best of Nusa Penida Tour by Fast Boat: on this full-day tour from Bali you’ll go to the heavenly Nusa Penida to see some of the main attractions of the island – the gorgeous Kelingking Beach and Broken Beach.
- Instagram Highlights Tour: visit the most Instagrammable places in Bali near Ubud. It includes Lempuyang Temple, Tegallalang, and Tirta Gangga.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO READ
Bali Itinerary: How to spend one week in Bali
Where to eat in Canggu: The best restaurants and cafes in Canggu, Bali
Ubud Guide: The Complete Guide to Ubud
Honeymoon in Indonesia: 9 honeymoon hotels in Indonesia
Beaches in Indonesia: 9 stunning beaches to visit on your next trip to Indonesia