If you are a fan of the Harry Potter books and movies and are planning a trip to New York City, then you need to check out the store dedicated to the wizarding world in the city.
The store opened in 2021 and has two floors full of exceptional products, including clothes, wands, stationery items, and delicious treats.
This post has a complete guide to visiting the Harry Potter store in NYC, including location, entrance requirements, product prices, and more. If you want to visit the store to explore and be enchanted with the universe of magic, then read on to discover all the tips.
Table of contents
- Harry Potter Store location
- How to enter the store and entrance fee
- Harry Potter store operating hours
- What is available at the Harry Potter store in NYC
- Merchandise prices at Harry Potter Store
- The Butterbeer Bar
- VR Experience
- What to know for visiting New York City
This post may contain affiliate links. By purchasing through these links, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Harry Potter Store location
The first Harry Potter store in New York City is located in the heart of the city, next to the iconic Flatiron Building.
The address is 935 Broadway, though the entrance is on 22nd St between 5th Av and Broadway. Also, the closest subway station to the store is 23rd Street.
How to enter the store and entrance fee
The good thing about visiting the Harry Potter store in New York is that it’s free to get in. This is super exciting because since you don’t need to pay to enter, you can spend more at the store.
However, at the moment, it is necessary to plan a little more in advance. This is because they are currently using a virtual queuing system, which means you need to scan a QR code outside the store (a new daily code from 9 am) to secure your place in the queue.
Once you’ve scanned the QR code, you can continue your day in New York with your regular schedule. They will send you a text message when it’s your turn to walk into the store, and after receiving the notification, you have one hour to return and enter this paradise for Harry Potter fans.
Unfortunately, the virtual queue is the only way to visit the store these days, as you are not allowed to enter without having a place in the line. When the virtual queue is full, they deactivate the QR code for the day, so you’ll have to try the next day again.
To give you an idea, I put my name in the virtual queue at 10 am, continued walking around the city, and received a notification to return at 2 pm. So, I waited around 4 hours to get into the Harry Potter store (but keep in mind that times can vary depending on the day and the number of people on the list).
Harry Potter store operating hours
The Harry Potter store opening hours are from Morning to Saturday from 9 am to 9 pm and Sunday from 9 am to 7 pm. The virtual queue opens at 9 am every day.
What is available at the Harry Potter store in NYC
At the Harry Potter store in New York City, you’ll find items perfect for fans of the Harry Potter franchise and the Fantastic Beasts.
You can buy clothes like sweatshirts and sweatpants from the houses of Hogwarts and items for stationery lovers like notebooks, pens, pencils, and cases from Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw.
If you’re very into Harry Potter, some objects worthy of collectors can also be purchased at the New York store, such as wands of mega-important characters like Dumbledore, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, etc.
In addition, you will be able to appreciate the treats of the movies, as you can also find Chocolate Frogs, Every Flavour Beans, and buy Butterbeer (bottled or served straight from the bar).
Merchandise prices at Harry Potter Store
Now, let’s talk about prices!
You can get some stationery items like pencils, pens, and notebooks for about US$ 2, US$ 8, and US$ 15, respectively.
As for sweets, a Chocolate Frog costs US$ 12, and Every Flavour Beans are US$ 12 in the paper wrapper or US$ 22 in cute tins.
The wands, which can be of various characters like Harry, Dumbledore, and Hermione, or just from the houses of Hogwarts, cost US$ 38.
Keyrings and other small souvenir items cost about US$ 10.
The Butterbeer Bar
One of the highlights of the Harry Potter store in New York City is the Butterbeer Bar, which, for now, is the only one in the city.
To buy the Butterbeer at the New York store, you’ll need to pay US$ 12, and you can take the mug home as a souvenir.
Also, the beer can be the classic liquid or sold in the form of ice cream (US$ 8). And if you prefer to have the bottled Butterbeer, you can also purchase individual bottles for US$ 6 or a pack of 4 bottles for US$ 16.
It’s worth mentioning that Butterbeer is non-alcoholic, so everyone of all ages can consume it.
You can also have a Virtual Reality Experience at the Harry Potter store – a great way to immerse yourself into the wizarding world and have a unique adventure.
There are currently two experiences: Chaos at Hogwarts, where you go on a magical adventure to Hogwarts Castle, and Wizards Take Flight, where you’ll embark on a high-flying broom journey over London’s skies and the enchanting grounds of Hogwarts Castle.
Experience duration might vary depending on which one you choose, but allocate at least 30 minutes of your itinerary for the VR Experience, plus additional time to roam the store.
Prices for the Harry Potter VR Experience start at US$ 37 per person. You can purchase them online or with a VR Host at Harry Potter New York. However, the online method is the best way to guarantee a slot for the day you want.
For more information about the VR Experience at Harry Potter NYC, please check their website with all the details.
Is it worth visiting the Harry Potter store in New York City?
If you are a Harry Potter fan, the New York City store is definitely worth a visit!
Imagine seeing a gigantic phoenix spinning in the middle of the store, like the entrance to Dumbledore’s office. Or enter the store and see a phoenix “flying” above you. Or still, see the phone booth entrance to the Ministry of Magic?
If you love the most famous little wizard, his companions, and the stories in general, you will love visiting the store.
How long is the wait to get into the Harry Potter Store NYC?
The waiting time depends on the day of the week and the number of visitors. For example, I visited the store during the opening season and over a long week, and it took me 4 hours to enter.
On a regular day, you should expect between 1 and 2 hours to enter the Harry Potter store in NYC.
Do you have to pay to get into the Harry Potter Store NYC?
No, you don’t have to pay to enter the store. Just scan the QR code, put your name on the virtual queue, and wait for your time to enter the store.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO READ: The Perfect 3-day Itinerary to New York City
What to know for visiting New York City
Best Hotels in New York City
- NoMo SoHo Hotel: set in the trendy SoHo neighborhood with access to many shops in the area. The Canal Street subway station is located 2 blocks away from the hotel and it’s within walkable distance from Little Italy.
- Arlo SoHo: the best hotel if you want to stay close to the SoHo, Tribeca, and West Village neighborhoods. By staying at Arlo, you’ll have access to many restaurants in New York City. When it’s time for happy hour, head over to their rooftop bar to take in panoramic views of the city.
- The Dominick Hotel: another perfect option in SoHo, The Dominick is close to Washington Square Park. It features a spa, 4 restaurants, and an outdoor pool on the 7th floor.
- Nolitan Hotel SoHo: this boutique hotel is a budget-friendly hotel in New York and yet has access to many hot spots in the city.
Best Tours in New York City
- New York CityPASS: If this is your first time in NYC, you should definitely purchase the New York CityPass, which allows you to visit up to 6 attractions of New York City and receive up to a 40% discount. With the New York CityPass, you can visit popular attractions such as the Empire State Building, the American Museum of Natural History, and The Metropolitan Museum of Art. You can also choose between either the Top of the Rock Observatory OR Guggenheim Museum; Ferry Access to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island OR Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises; and 9/11 Memorial & Museum OR Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.
- Manhattan Island Helicopter Tour up to 30 Minutes: Ready for a bird’s-eye view of NYC? On this helicopter tour, you can experience Manhattan from above and see the main points of interest, like Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, Hudson River, and the Statue of Liberty from a different perspective.
- 1-Hour Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Cruise: Get up close to New York’s main symbol, the Statue of Liberty, along with the Brooklyn Bridge on this 60-minute boat ride.
Transportation In New York City
The subway service in New York City encompasses a massive area and is the perfect way to get around. If you are in a rush and can’t take the subway, ridesharing apps such as Uber and Lyft are great alternatives.
Best Time to Visit New York City
New York City can be visited year-round, as each season has its own charm. If you want to be able to walk outside, then avoid visiting the city during the winter months. Spring and Fall are the best seasons to visit New York City and the perfect time of the year to be in the city as the first one brings nice weather and green colors to Central Park and the latter the fall foliage and its magnificent color show.
Do you have any questions about visiting the Harry Potter flagship store in NYC? So, leave it here in the comments and I’ll love to answer.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO READ